Last night I put the new version of the Cube Websites website live, and as part of the launch process I went through all the URLs from the old version of the site, and those which no longer existed I redirected to the most relevant URL on the new version of the site.
To do this I carried out the following steps:
- Crawl the old version of the site using Xenu’s Link Sleuth to get a list of all the existing URLs
- Crawl the new version of the site using Xenu to get a list of all the new URLs available
- In Excel I made a spreadsheet, where the first column contained all the old URLs, and I filled in the second column by selecting the most relevant URLs on the old site
- Saved the spreadsheet as a CSV file
- Created a rewrite rule generator to create Rewrite Rules which can be copied and pasted and pasted into a .htaccess file for the 301’s
The tool I created is now available for anyone else to use and you can find it on the 301 Rewrite Rule Generator page.